Sidelined with a knee injury, Kawhi Leonard remains out for the LA Clippers for the foreseeable future.
The Clippers however, still have not ruled Leonard out officially for the 2022 NBA playoffs and in a promising sign, the 30-year-old forward was seen working out at the team’s recent practice on Tuesday.
NBA LEAGUE PASS: Sign up to unlock live out-of-market games (7-day free trial)
But does that mean Leonard’s return is just around the corner? Could the two-time Finals MVP play against the Phoenix Suns on Wednesday?
Is Kawhi Leonard playing against the Suns tonight?
Despite a recent sighting after practice by reporters, Leonard will not play against the Suns on Wednesday night.
Leonard’s shooting workout was captured by reporters on Tuesday. According to Mirjam Swanson of the Southern California News Group, Leonard shot free throws, worked on his mid-range game and then hit 64 out of 85 three-point attempts.
Here’s video evidence of Leonard’s recent workout:
He didn’t want us to record him shooting, but Kawhi is shooting free throws with longtime friend and former Riverside King teammate, Clippers assistant Jeremy Castleberry over yonder. pic.twitter.com/edpO4CNvAB
— Mirjam Swanson (@MirjamSwanson) April 5, 2022
What channel is Clippers vs. Suns on?
- TV channel (USA): ESPN
- TV channel (LA): Bally Sports SoCal
- TV channel (Phoenix): Bally Sports AZ
- TV channel (Canada): TSN
- Stream (USA): Sling TV
- Stream (Canada): TSN App
In the United States, Lakers vs. Nuggets will air nationally on ESPN. It will air locally in Los Angeles on Bally Sports SoCal and locally in Phoenix on Bally Sports AZ. The game can also be streamed on Sling TV.
In Canada, Clippers vs. Suns will air nationally on TSN and can be streamed on the TSN App.
Clippers vs. Suns start time
- Date: Wednesday, April 6
- Time: 10:00 p.m. ET
Clippers vs. Suns is scheduled for 10:00 p.m. ET on Wednesday, April 6. The game will be played at the Crypto.com Arena in Los Angeles and will tip off shortly after the scheduled time.
What is Kawhi Leonard’s injury?
Leonard suffered a right knee injury during Game 4 of the 2021 Western Conference Semifinals. The two-time NBA Finals MVP came up limping after a drive toward the basket against former Jazz forward Joe Ingles. He ended up sitting the last four-plus minutes of that contest, but in his postgame interview with TNT’s Rebecca Haarlow, he said, “I’ll be good.”
— KSL Sports (@kslsports) June 15, 2021
Unfortunately for Leonard, the knee issue was more serious than he thought and ended what had been a spectacular playoff run. The Clippers announced on July 13 that Leonard underwent successful surgery to repair the partially torn ACL, adding that there is “no timetable for his return.”
In 52 games last season, Leonard averaged 24.8 points, 6.5 rebounds, 5.2 assists and 1.6 steals, earning a spot on the All-NBA First Team.
Clippers upcoming schedule 2021-22
The Clippers have just three games remaining this season, giving Leonard some time to get back into shape for the playoffs. The Clippers are locked in at the No. 8 seed in the Western Conference as they are too far back from the No. 7 Minnesota Timberwolves to move up in the standings before the season ends.
|April 6||vs. Suns||10:00 PM|
|April 9||vs. Kings||9:30 PM|
|April 10||vs. Thunder||9:30 PM|
NBA Playoff matchups 2022: Western Conference
Here’s what the playoff matchups in the West would be if the regular season ended today:
(1) Suns vs. (8) Play-In Winner
(2) Grizzlies vs. (7) Play-In Winner
(3) Warriors vs. (6) Jazz
(4) Mavericks vs. (5) Nuggets
NBA Play-In Tournament matchups 2022: Western Conference
Here’s what the NBA Play-In Tournament matchups in the West would be if the regular season ended today:
(7) Timberwolves vs. (8) Clippers
(9) Pelicans vs. (10) Spurs
How does the NBA Play-In Tournament work?
- The NBA Play-In Tournament will be held after the conclusion of the 2021-22 regular season and before the start of the first round of the 2022 NBA Playoffs. The teams that finish Nos. 1-6 in the standings of each conference will be guaranteed playoff spots. Teams Nos. 7-10 will enter the Play-In Tournament.
- Each conference’s Nos. 7 and 8 teams will face off, with the winner earning the No. 7 seed in the playoffs. The loser will still have one more opportunity to reach the playoffs.
- Each conference’s Nos. 9 and 10 teams will face off, with the winner advancing to play the loser of the No. 7-vs.-No. 8 game. The loser of the No. 9-vs.-No. 10 game will be eliminated from playoff contention.
- The loser of the No. 7-vs.-No. 8 game and the winner of the No. 9-vs.-No. 10 game will then play against each other. The winner of that game will be the No. 8 seed in the playoffs. The loser will be eliminated from playoff contention.
- Beyond the Play-In Tournament, the 2022 NBA Playoffs will follow the typical format, with full best-of-seven series all the way through the NBA Finals.